Sunday, January 9, 2011

Twice-baked potatoes

I found this on allrecipes.com. I like this site because you change the serving size and it will change the recipe for you.

  • 2 large baking potatoes
  • 4 slices bacon
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
  • 4 green onions, sliced, divided
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Bake potatoes in preheated oven for 1 hour.
  3. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
  4. When potatoes are done allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a large bowl; save skins. To the potato flesh add sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 the green onions. Mix with a hand mixer until well blended and creamy. Spoon the mixture into the potato skins. Top each with remaining cheese, green onions and bacon.
  5. Bake for another 15 minutes.
I ended up breaking a potato skin, so my potatoes were a little full when I put them back in the oven. I also was tentative about scooping out the skins after I broke the first one so they were a little hard in places. I learned a trick from Martha Stewart that I will try next time to help with the scooping. She suggests slamming the taters on you counter to break up the insides and make them fluffy. Willa dug right in and I ate two myself, so I think we will be having these again. I have always heard they are so time intensive but really with a little practice I could get good at it.

1 comments:

MDunn said...

I think that Martha stole that idea from me. Yep, I'm pretty sure she did! :)