Sunday, January 9, 2011

Crock pot rotisserie chicken

I originally found this over at New Nostalgia, and she had it linked to A Year of Slow cooking. Both good blogs. I am also making chicken stock from the leftover bones following New Nostalgia's directions. I'll let you know how that goes.

Crock pot rotisserie chicken

-1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 pounds)

--2 tsp kosher salt (if you'd like it as salty as the ones in the store, add another 1 tsp.)
--1 tsp paprika
--1 tsp onion powder
--1/2 tsp dried thyme
--1 tsp Italian seasoning
--1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
--1/2 tsp black pepper
--pinch of chili pepper (probably not necessary) (I didn't add any!)

--4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
--1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)

The Directions.

I used a 6 quart crockpot for a 5 pound bird. It fit nicely.

Skin the chicken and get rid of the neck and other stuff from the cavity. This takes a while, and is gross. Keep small children away so you don't freak out about salmonella. (I did do this!)

In a bowl, combine all of dried spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the bird, inside and out. Plop the bird breast-side down into the crock pot.

If desired, shove 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird. (I had garlic but I forgot to add them.)

Do not add water.

Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8. The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat.

I think the next time I would do it on low for 8 hours. I started on high but should have realized since I started it early I needed it to stay warm for awhile. B also suggested that along with the spices I inject some marinade which would keep it juicier. My tinkering with the temp's caused it to dry just a little.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of posting recipes!! These two look delicious, I'll have to try them out!! :)

First time commenter,
Kayleigh :)