Sunday, January 2, 2011

Balance`

I have spent many days writing several posts in my head, but the procrastinator in me kept putting off actually putting my fingers to the keyboard.

The last two weeks have been very out of the ordinary. B left for another TDY, Willa got sick, we had visitors for the holiday, and I took some vacation days. Plus a few sick days before the vacation and holidays but it is what it is. We are on the mend, the guests have left and B will be home in a few days. Before we know it we will be back in the swing of things.

I am not one for setting New Year's Resolutions but I since I haven't been at work for what seems like forever it has given me some time to reflect. Reflection is usually not good for my ego, but it's what I do. My hope and I think this is probably typical for many women is to find a balance in life between all the hats we try to wear. B said something to me a while ago and I have really tried to take it to heart. "Why don't you do 1 thing 100 times well, instead 100 things once. " It was in relation to all the crafts I wanted to do, but I think it can be used across the board. I have really been trying to finish all the things I have started before picking up new things. (However, somebody sent me like 5 books for Christmas and I have already made it through 3. But I am on vacation right?)

Christmas was bittersweet. We missed B, but I was so excited for everyone to open the gifts I had made and purchased. I hope to keep this up and give everyone something homemade and as my skill level increases, I think I can handle small projects without letting them get out of hand. Blogging has broadened my horizons and spawned an excel spreadsheet with all the projects I think would be fun to do someday. And with tutorials, my life gets so much easier.

Being sick for Christmas dampened the Chicksters enjoyment of present time, but it hasn't slowed her down this weekend from playing with most of her new things. The Fisher Price toys may have evolved but they can still provide hours of entertainment. I am pretty sure she told me to Go Away today and ask me Why? when I told her to sit down. Never thought I would get sass from a 15 year old but it takes all I can to not laugh sometimes. Pretty sure I am going to eat those words soon.

I know I talk a lot about how much she amazes and surprises me, but there is something new everyday. Mostly, its just things I think she isn't big enough for and then she seems to master them quickly. Even though she wants to eat the crayons she does enjoy coloring. She can't get all her puzzle pieces to lock in place but she usually puts them in the right spot. Her self-feeding spoon techniques improve each day and she makes less of a mess. I can't help but praise our daycare, because it seems like just when I think we should be introducing something she already has it down. I really think there is a BALANCE between letting her be a kid and super strict structure of learning. I think we are doing a pretty good job despite coming home some nights to throw something on the table, have a tub and getting ready for bed in a short amount of time.

I hope we continue to work towards balance and continue to grow. Despite not having resolutions, I have a pesky goal that I hope to conquer at last.

Welcome 2011 and the anniversary of my blog.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said...here's a quote I thought of when I read this post: If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you??

lmoylan said...

Story of my life. I am a perfectionist procrastinator. If I can't do it the way I want to perfectly I just don't do it. It's sad, and I have really been trying to let go and just get things done.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that she amazes me on what she can do...and I hate to break it to you but I'm pretty sure the sass is going to get worse lol! She has a mind of her own!
And no worries...even if you attempt to make something and it doesn't turn out the way you want it, I would prob like it and wouldn't know any different, so I vote that you keep making me stuff! I have gotten LOTS of compliments on my bag and stethascope covers, and I tell everyone about the pillow cases! Feel free to make me one of those anytime ;)
Rue

Jackie said...

3 out of 5 already! Someone has had quite a bit of time away from work :)